Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Diving right in

Well, after weeks of trying to get Nathan into a 'social' therapy group (meaning, not one-on-one therapy), I gave up waiting and set him up with an OT (occupational therapist) not too far from the house.  When I find some group programs, I'll evaluate whether or not to keep him in the individual therapy sessions.  It all gets very expensive, very quickly!

A little background.  Nathan was born at 24 weeks and 6 days weighing 1 pound 7 ounces.  He was in the hospital for 4 1/2 months and went through several surgeries and infections.  Right now, our pediatrician is the infectious disease doctor that followed him in the hospital!  You don't get to know the infectious disease doctor unless your child has quite a few of what I call 'mac-daddy infections.'  Nathan did.  

Nathan is nearly 3 now.  He has come SO far.  We go to therapy to help him learn to talk (speech therapy) and to help him develop his fine motor skills(occupational therapy).  For more detail on his beginning, you are more than welcome to visit the blog we created for friends and family to follow while we were in the heat of things with him at web.mac.com/jansorensen.

For the past two years, I have struggled to find Nathan the best help out there.  The best doctors, the best developmental pediatrician, the best therapists, and the best all around programs to help him develop.  I've made a lot of mistakes, I've run into a lot of dead ends, and I've found some really great help.  So, my purpose for this blog is to share what little I know.  I am not a doctor or licensed therapist - I'm a concerned mom.

No comments: