Monday, June 14, 2010

Public Schools - and, "Hi! Has it really been that LONG?"

Well, I don't know if I'm "dead" blogging-wise, but here we go again. I think I shared on one of my previous posts that I find sharing my experiences difficult while I'm going through them.

But, here I am.

One word on getting your child into the public school of your choice. Well, OK - more than one. Here's what worked for me. First, I prayed and prayed and prayed and then prayed some more. I didn't know for sure if where I thought Nathan "should" be was really where God would have him. So, I prayed!

Then, I told the school system folks that I knew they were doing the best they could for all the kids and that situations change all the time, and that spots open up (and are filled) at Coralwood (the "it" school for me) all the time. So, I told them to be prepared that I would ask if there was a spot in Coralwood for Nathan every single time I spoke to them on the phone or in person.

So. At my last (of many) IEP meeting with the school, I was told that there WAS A SPOT for Nathan at Coralwood for the 2009-10 school year!!! Of course, at that very moment, I completely misunderstood the woman and thought she told me that he was in LINE for a spot. This means I didn't jump up and down and yell HALLELUIA!!!!! Instead, I said, "That's great!" I didn't figure it out until after the meeting was over and the woman taking notes explained it to me. Of course, I had to send a thank you letter to the woman in charge and apologize for not being more excited. (call me slow! other people have!)

That's what worked for me in the DeKalb County school system in Georgia. Many things since then - much to write. Much frustration -- which I think I'm learning is par for the course!

I will endevor to write more frequently. Coming soon - sensory diets - what they REALLY are (if I haven't already posted that). Getting one on one help for Nathan. And, what the heck are these dang IEP goals good for, anyway?

I wish you many hugs from your special kids. :-)

No comments: