Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Progress & Sensory Integration confusion

Well, it's been a while because I've been all over the map with how I'm feeling about Nathan's progress.  Not that I'm unhappy, but it is so hard to know what to do to help the little guy.  And, THAT is frustrating.

First, our progress and my confusion around it.  While Nathan still doesn't really seem to notice strangers (it is more than being shy - it is like they don't exist for him.  Most of the time, he doesn't acknowledge that they are there at all), he seems to be becoming more and more engaged with his environment.   He is more interactive with his father and me as well as with his therapists and our nanny.  He responds to our requests more often and follows directions more often -- not ALL the time, though. :-)  I suppose I have to wonder 'what kid does, though?'   So, he does seem to be waking up, sensory-wise.

My confusion is in a couple of areas.  Now that he seems to be responding and being interactive more often; how on earth do I tell if he's just ignoring me or if he just isn't noticing that I'm talking?  I know that sounds weird.  You're probably thinking, "Duh, lady, he's ignoring you like every other kid does."   Well, if you saw how much he just doesn't seem to notice some people and things, maybe you'd wonder too?  Maybe I'm thinking too much about it?  

Second area of confusion - his sleeping.  Nathan has always fallen asleep for his nap rather easily and then had a very difficult time falling asleep at night.  Well, after talking to Christy Kennedy (OT who held Sensory Integration lectures), we thought maybe it was because Nathan is not very awake at nap time and then more awake (sensory-wise) in the evening because he's had all day for his senses to become more aware.  Hence, it takes him a while to wind down at night.

So, I think I might have a low sensory-aware kid.  I'm helping him wake up and become more sensory aware.  This part is great.  He's having more fun!  It's wonderful to see him try new things and really enjoy himself.  When I try to get Nathan to change activities when he's super engaged in something, I check to see how much he protests.  While he used to not protest at all, now I get some protesting.  This is a good thing, it means he's engaged and more awake sensory-wise (I think).  

Another good thing is that he doesn't appear to be in the red zone sensory-wise.  Meaning, he does protest, but not too much and I'm able to get him re-engaged in another activity fairly easily.  Is it too easy?  I don't know - is it fairly easy because, even though he's more sensory-aware, he's still low sensory?  It is fairly easy because he just has an easy-going personality?  How much of this is sensory integration and how much of it is personality?

And, more confusion.   How do I help a child whose nervous system isn't used to receiving so many sensory signals calm down?  He doesn't APPEAR to be in the red zone, but maybe he is?  It's so new to him that he might actually be over-stimulated even though he doesn't look like it.  

What I observe is now it is sometimes hard to get him to fall asleep for his nap.  And, now it is even harder for him to settle down at night.  And, oh by the way, he's 3.  So, is he just getting to the point where he doesn't need a nap?  I don't think that's it because I can see that he's tired.  But, still.  How much can someone think about this stuff!?!?!

So, there you go!  Ahhhh!!!!  I've been grappling with this for a week - hence the lack of posts.

Our last (for the time-being) lecture from Christy was about helping your child regulate their stimulation, notice the signs that they're getting too much and know what little techniques they can use to help themselves calm down.    

The lecture was titled "How Does Your Engine Run? The Alert Program For Self Regulation".  She based it on materials by Mary Sue Williams and Sherry Shellenberger, OT/owners of Therapy Works, Inc (877) 897-3478.

My understanding, which is very limited due to all the other things going on in my head, is that, as parents and therapists, our job is to help our kids begin to understand what is going on and how they can help themselves.  Ms Williams and Shellenberger have come up with a language that they can use with children to help them relate to how they are doing sensory-wise.   They use the idea of your body having an engine that can be running low, just right or high.

More on "How Does Your Engine Run" next time...

Happy playing!

No comments: